Friday, October 7, 2011

Postage Stamps (and Police Badges)

We talked about mail carriers today and made our own postage stamps. I took pictures of the kids individually and then edited them in Picnik so they looked like pencil sketches. (I've mentioned this idea before here.)
I cut them into squares and added a "44" and "USA" in the corner. Then I cut slightly bigger squares from colored construction paper but used fancy scissors. Their pictures would be glued to these squares.
As you can tell, I had a hard time cutting in a straight line with these scissors. I don't know what it is, but the scissors never stayed straight! Anyway, the kids colored their picture with crayons and glued them to the colored squares. They were very excited to see themselves as a "stamp." Oh, it's the little things...

P.S. Yesterday we talked about police officers and made badges. It was such an easy project that has been done a million times, so I didn't think it was worthy of its own post. I'll just add it to this one. I found the badge here. Then I shrunk it down to the size I needed and wrote "Officer _______" on it. The kids wrote their names on the lines and painted them with watercolors. When they were dry, they added a couple star stickers and I laminated them.

P.P.S. This is my 100th post! Wahooooooo!!

No comments: