Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Crushed Fruit Loop Rainbows

So everywhere I look, I see Fruit Loop rainbows. They are pretty cool, and great fine-motor practice for the kids, but I wanted to do something different. I had a huge bag of generic Fruit Loops left over from our necklace craft, so I brought that back to school. On Monday I had the kids separate the cereal by color.
Then I put them into plastic bags and the kids stepped on them to crush the cereal. They loved this, of course!
I finished the crushing phase with a rolling pin. And then on Tuesday, we made rainbows with our crushed Fruit Loops.
Our art table was so colorful!
I originally planned on them painting glue onto wax paper, with a template of the rainbow underneath.

But that wasn't really working. The wax paper kept moving when they brushed the glue on, so we just painted the paper rainbows instead. I used card stock paper so it would support all the glue better.
Using slightly watered-down glue, the kids painted one row at a time and sprinkled the crushed cereal on top.
It was pretty fine, but there were a few chunks in there. It still worked well, though.
Some kids chose to follow the colors of a real rainbow, with red being on top, but others just decorated it their own unique way.

Here's what our table looked like when we were done:
You can't tell me that doesn't look like we had fun! When they were dry, I cut them out and hung them in the window. Hopefully they will catch some sun rays. Now, you could accomplish the same look with colored sand, but they wouldn't smell nearly as fruity that way!

1 comment:

Kids Creative Chaos said...

What a fun project! It would be great with edible glue for younger ones special needs too. Pinning :-0