Thursday, June 28, 2012

Rockets

I taught the kids all about rockets and space shuttles yesterday. We even watched a video of a rocket launch! And then we headed to the art table to make our own rockets. It was a simple craft. I cut out big rectangles, big triangles and smaller triangles in red, white and blue. The kids put their rockets together on black paper.
Once it was glued down they added a bunch of glue to the bottom of the rocket to make the fire.
Then they sprinkled orange glitter on the glue. I had two shades of orange from which they could choose.

They shook off the extra glitter and that's when I remembered I punched out little stars! So they added those to the rockets after the glitter, but I would recommend doing it before so the kids don't get their hands or arms into it by mistake. In my example at the top of the post, I used star stickers. But that was made years ago and I didn't have any star stickers, so I just used a star hole punch.
While they were sleeping, I used silver glitter glue to make some stars in the background. I know, I know, the kids should have done that. But I didn't have much left and kids love to squirt huge globs of that stuff! Another idea I had was to use glitter construction paper. I didn't have enough for each child so we didn't use it. When they were dry, I hung them on our bathroom door.
When we got building centers out later, the kids were all making rockets! It was so fun to see.



**Linking up to Sharing Saturday and The Sunday Showcase!**


4 comments:

Unknown said...

So simple and FABULOUS! I love your idea of using glitter constructions paper too!

Unknown said...

Ooh these are cute! I love using TP rolls to make rockets too!

Thanks for stopping by The Sunday Showcase, hope to see you there again next week!

Charlotte
makedoandfriend.com

Anonymous said...

They are very cute rockets. I love how they watched a launch video first too.

Carrie said...

So cute!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday! I will be featuring these at my holiday round up tomorrow.