Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Push-Paint Bugs

We are learning about bugs this week!
This was a two-part project because we had to wait for the paint to dry. After folding a piece of paper in half and then opening it up again, the kids put 3 globs of paint on the paper (near the center). Then they folded the paper in half again and squished the paint all around.
Next they opened their paper back up and were amazed at what they saw!
All the kids were pretty excited about what they created and couldn't wait to turn it into a bug. When it was dry, they used markers to add legs, and anything else they wanted their bug to have, like wings or stingers or stripes.
Then they added two wiggle eyes.

They turned out so cute. It's amazing what kinds of creations you can make with this push-paint method!

Sunday, April 28, 2013

YAH: Some Nursery Decor

Well, it's the night before I go back to work. I'm holding my little girl as she sleeps in my arms, so I thought I'd share some things I made for her nursery. They are nothing spectacular and are very simple, so I'm combining them into one post. I already showed you the sheet music art.
Then there is her ultrasound picture. I framed it and used letter stickers to spell out "Love at first sight."
Then I framed the song my family sang for us at my baby shower (read about that here). I found this beautiful design on the inside of a children's book, Forget Me Not by Michael Broad.

My daughter's nursery doesn't really have a theme, but the walls are a soft gray and I used purple accents, so I was really drawn to the design on these pages and I knew I wanted to incorporate it into the room. So I photocopied the page and put it in a frame. Then I printed out the song on translucent vellum paper. I used mini glue dots in the corners to attach it to the paper. I was worried they might show too much, but you can hardly see them.
It's much easier to read the words in person and I decided not to put the glass back in the frame. I also had some pregnancy photos taken by a friend and co-worker of mine. I picked three of my favorites and printed them out in wallet-size and framed them. It's hard to believe my belly was that big!
There are plenty of other DIY projects in her room that were made by other people, the biggest of which is her crib. My husband built it from scratch and it turned out beautifully.
I used vinyl letters to put her name on the crib. (UPDATE: Once she was able to stand up and reach the letters, I took them off the crib so she wouldn't put them in her mouth.) I loved the crib sheet I bought so much:
So I bought another one to use as material for other things. My mom used some of it to sew a pillow case for a little pillow on my rocking chair.
(She also made those curtains in the background!) I have plenty of crib sheet material left to make other things.
My husband also built a dresser/changing table.
Again, gorgeous! And he also built some book ledges.

I used vinyl flowers for a little decoration. I love these shelves! The books are displayed almost like a work of art. They add so much color to the room. When she gets old enough to grab the books off the bottom shelf, I'll switch them out for more age-appropriate ones.
And my sister-in-law made this beautiful cross stitch:
I can't wait to start hanging things on the walls. I also have some more projects in mind, like a mobile and a painting. I'm not sure when I'll get around to working on those!
Thanks for sticking around these past 6 weeks! I'll be posting more regularly now, starting with our bug unit this coming week!

Saturday, April 13, 2013

YAH: Sheet Music Art

I'm finally back! This "new mom" thing sure is exhausting, but I did manage to make something for the nursery. I've always loved Beethoven's Für Elise, and although that's not why we named our daughter Elise, I thought it would be fun to make a piece of art out of the music. Also, I played that piece on the piano for her the night before I was to be induced, hoping she'd come on her own. (It didn't work.) This is a quick and easy project. You'll need stretched canvas (mine was 8x10), a sheet of music, a brush (I used a foam brush), glue and water or Mod Podge.
I decided I wanted a rough edge to my music, so I tore the paper on all four sides.
I didn't have Mod Podge so I mixed some Elmer's glue and water together in a little cup and then used the foam brush to paint the mixture over the entire surface of the canvas.
Then I placed the paper on top and painted another layer of the glue mixture.
I got a few wrinkles and bubbles, but I liked that. I actually wish there were more.
For now it's resting on top of some shelves in the nursery, but I will hang it on the wall eventually.
I have a few more projects planned and I want to get them done before I start pounding nails into the walls. I'll be back (hopefully soon) to share those other projects with you!